Saturday, August 16, 2008

Perspective



"Don't lose what you got trying to get what you want."
-Don't really remember where it came from, but I ended up saying it on a record and it's relevant.

I don't want to preach. This isn't so much a soap-box to stand on as it is "therapeutic". Perhaps it even keeps me from losing myself in the midst of all of this. Maybe I'm not where so many feel I deserve to be because I'm too conscious. Either way I can't pretend to care. The things of the world that I can't control or change are not in my mind at this point. Everybody loves to be appreciated. Everyone loves to be recognized. What happens when that doesn't go far enough for the human ego?  (Rhetorical)

Intentionally, this is probably the most random thing I've ever written in my life. I should say that I have an open mind, and I have recommitted to getting in to good shape. (In case you haven't noticed I'M A HUMAN BEING). 

I talk about "grinding" because the period of my life that saw a change for the better came right after I was stuck in a mode of doing whatever for my money only to spend it on clothes, clubs, and anything to make it seem like I was doing more than I was. I rap from that perspective, understanding that this is what the hood does to you. No matter how far I go, I can't pretend to forget having a couple of thousand dollars cash and feeling like I had made it or I was rich. Some might argue that rapping about drug-dealing, fornication, or blowing your money is plaguing society. I happen to look at it from a different angle. I think its expression grounded in awareness. Such an awareness that's not always present when you're in the middle of it. Consequence is often preceded by choice, however options are often few and far between where I come from. Now or never is the mentality that sometimes pushes people over the edge. Having come from that, my career is fueled by the opposite. Maybe I could rap from an enlightened stance (and lose the majority) and tell everybody to invest efficiently, take care of your people, and live a healthy lifestyle. However, i'd much rather lead by example and exercise my freedom of expression. I started something with a dollar and a dream, so can anyone else. Regardless of what I'm saying, somebody's listening (and reading right now) and I think that's the name of the game.

 If you're really paying attention, you'll notice then I'm an intellectual. I value making progress and making sense. Some artists do one or the other. I would prefer to do both. Nothing is perfect and neither am I, but I've thought far enough ahead to know that the change in the world doesn't start or end with me. I think everyone eligible should vote, but that just entered my realm of awareness recently so I've never mentioned it. I think education is important, but I also understand that college pushes some in to an adulthood of debt (hence the scholarship fund 12.15.08). I have a lot of conscious thoughts, but my music is full of wit, sarcasm, and almost a sense that I'm oblivious to anything that's not superficial. It's entertainment and unless you fully understood me, it might be difficult to understand. Dig a little deeper and there's something there. If I made it surface more it might be further misconstrued as preaching and as I said that's not my career choice. I'm just fine with being STAR. Even if that means a little one.

I AM $TARLITO.

Giving
Reality
Inspired
New
Direction

toward
Having
A
Real
Dream

5 comments:

D A V I D said...

Allow me to whip out my philosopher's hat:

People shouldn't fear an adulthood of debt if learning and interaction are important to them. People should however embrace a life of frugality until they achieve a financial comfort zone that merits frivolous behavior, less they can afford to skip the line and spin that roulette wheel; however most people inclined to seek education are often not willing to play that game.

Education is not a means to a paycheck by any standard. People can become millionaires off real estate while simultaneously working construction, flipping houses, and pressuring unready, unfamiliar buyers into long-term commitments(mortgages) by the time they are 24. I just couldn't live with myself. I'd rather sell dope.

Anyways, all in all a very good read, and it's good to know that an artist that I listen to musically has such depth to their persona that they are willing to share. I hope that others who are out there listening are compelled to set their own personal bars high. We really need it in today's society.

Sometimes, at least in my humble opinion, those who are struggling to present an illusion of a lavish lifestyle (one that they worked hard to achieve) often impact those who are already living that life blindly to wake up... thus your work has not been in vain. Sometimes it is all our living and spending that helps us who were not advantaged from the jump with those forms of safety nets in place to establish what our financial comfort zones are while simultaneously etching out our own niche.

Success.

CJ4Six said...

Real Talk Lito

*Grind+Hard=$$$"

Anonymous said...

Glasses Malone feat. Lil Wayne & Birdman - Haterz (OFFICIAL VIDEO)

http://www.musiconplay.net/29/08/2008/glasses-malone-feat-lil-wayne-birdman-haterz/

CRAZY VID MANNN

Anonymous said...

hopefully, you never lose sight of who you are and never lose the morals & values as you gain more money and stardom. :)

Anonymous said...

"Don't lose what you got trying to get what you want." but also remember, "sometimes you have to lose something you have to find something better."